Devonport is a beautiful, historic village by the sea with some of the loveliest heritage buildings in Auckland. When Red Turtle Architects were commissioned to renovate and rejuvenate one of the iconic buildings on Victoria Street they asked Envivo for a laser scan of the site.
Laser scanning is ideal for capturing details in a heritage building like this. Architects need to know exactly what is on-site before a new design can be developed. Mark Finlayson, Survey Director, said “Heritage buildings have often presented a challenge to capture their geometry. Historic buildings can be beautiful but they can also be complex. They are not built to today’s standards, so there are sometimes issues in terms of verticality and flatness. If plans are available there are often observable discrepancies in what the plans say and what is actually on-site. Laser scanning is perfect for this type of work, capturing intricate detail easily. Our survey-accurate models can now be used by all stakeholders to ensure the new designs are going to work. The architect, structural designer, project managers, engineers etc. can be sure they’re all working on the same data set. ”
Laser Scanning and 3D Modelling is an increasingly popular option for architects because of the rich information captured on-site. In this case it was perfect for bringing the site to our client’s desk. We:
- Scanned the internal geometry of all structures as specified by the client
- Applied survey control from a local datum
- Generated and registered point cloud
- Modelled relevant geometry as agreed to LOD300, in this case Revit 2015 model derived from point cloud data
- Delivered integrated Navisworks Freedom 2015 viewer (integrated with survey data). We provide a viewer installation service if needed.
- Delivered Webshare Photometric viewer, 360° photometric viewer
Mark added “this building has had many uses over its lifetime. There were false walls and an internal refit that obscured the structural elements we wanted to capture. However, we created a model that accurately represents the building and from here the re-development can proceed with confidence.”
Benefits of laser scanning:
- Richly detailed INFORMATION will help you to reduce risk and control costs on your project.
- COMMUNICATION— a full color point cloud allows measurement, notation and communication with clients, project managers, design agents, constructors, engineers, etc.
- A permanent 3D RECORD that facility managers and site engineers can interrogate for ongoing operations and maintenance.
- An accurate 3D digital MODEL in part or whole of the scanned area to your specifications.
- BIM—a strong and safe basis for any Building Information Management (BIM) system.