- Nothing less than exceptional
quality is good enough.
Harnessing the Full Power of BIM – Building Information Modelling
Mark Finlayson, Survey Director, spoke at the Build Summit yesterday on Harnessing the Full Power of BIM (building information modeling) and 3D Laser Scanning.
The conference took place at the ASB Showgrounds on 26 and 27 June and covered BuildNZ, DesignEx and the Safety Show.
Mark used examples of projects we have been working on including the Auckland Airport, Auckland Grammar School, University of Auckland, Burwood Hospital and Myers Park. Key points from his presentation include:
- How to prepare your organisation for the digital world and BIM
- The importance of setting up the project properly right from the outset, BIM requires solid digital foundations with an agreed coordinate system (the Asbuilt information must be accurate)
- BIM enables all those involved to collaborate, virtualise, is more efficient, less risk, great for clash detections
- BIM is digital collaboration and our world is 3D Design
Mark explained how working together digitally where all stakeholders can participate offers huge benefits throughout the project (and afterwards when the structure is passed onto facilities managers). Digital data flows through a project providing value again and again.
Mark said “the collaboration potential in digital working is a terrific benefit for everyone involved. We first need to ensure we are creating an accurate platform right from the start. It’s critical to align the real world with the virtual world and that’s where surveying expertise comes in. It’s an exciting time for the virtual world and we’re are seeing real world benefits all the way through a project’s life-cycle.”